Welcome to Kundala Dam, a picturesque tourist spot located about 20 km from Munnar! Kundala Dam is built on River Periyar and is surrounded by the lush Western Ghats mountain range, Cherry Blossom trees, and the rare Neela Kurunji flowers that bloom once in 12 years. But wait, there’s more! You can enjoy an unforgettable experience at Kundala Lake by renting a pedal boat, rowboat or even a Kashmiri shikara boat!
Here are some of the fun things you can do at Kundala Dam and Lake:
- Enjoy the stunning views: Take a break and relax in the shade, while you enjoy the view of the nearby hills, the boats floating in the lake, and the aroma of tea plantations.
- Boating: Explore Kundala Lake on a pedal boat, row boat or shikara, while enjoying the stunning view of the green hills and tea plantations.
- Ride a horse: On the banks of the lake, you’ll also find many horses. Hop on one and ride around Kundala Dam and Lake, or even ride elephants on some days!
- Grab some snacks: Local people set up tea stalls and snack corners near Kundala Lake. Sip a freshly made cup of masala tea, drink tender coconut water, or grab a bite of dosa, noodles or sandwich.
- Take memorable photos: The dam, colorful boats on the lake, dense forests, and distant cover of tea plantations make Kundala Dam an ideal place for photographers. And if you’re lucky, you might even capture the rare Neela Kurunji flowers blooming on the nearby slopes.
Entry to Kundala Dam Munnar is free for everyone, so you can walk along the lake, take photos or enjoy a picnic with your family or friends. Now, a ride on a 3-person pedal boat costs ₹100, a 4-person row boat costs ₹150, and a shikara ride for 2 people costs ₹200. Each boat ride is around 30 minutes long, and boating ends by 4:30 PM.
The best time to visit Kundala Dam Lake is during winter or spring, between November and May, when the weather remains pleasant throughout the day. It’s also best to visit early in the morning to avoid the crowds and enjoy your trip in peace. You can spend around 1-2 hours in this tourist spot.
So what are you waiting for? Come visit Kundala Dam, enjoy the views, take some memorable photos, and have a fun-filled day!