Welcome to the Ooty Tea Factory, a place where tea lovers unite!
Nestled in the blue hills of Nilgiris, this tea museum is a must-visit spot for all chai enthusiasts out there. Here, you can witness the journey of tea from its origin to the present, surrounded by emerald green tea plantations.
The museum takes you through the entire tea-making process, from freshly plucked green leaves to packaging. You can learn and appreciate the method of tea processing by CTC machines. And, while you’re at it, sip on a hot cup of tea as you soak in the beautiful surroundings of the place.
But that’s not all! The museum also has an adjacent souvenir shop where you can try and buy various kinds of tea leaves. And if you’re a chocolate lover, you’re in luck! The factory is popular for its homemade chocolates too. With flavors like rum and raisin, fruit and nut, fig and honey, roasted almonds, coffee chocolate, and sugar-free varieties, you won’t be able to resist taking some home with you.
But the fun doesn’t stop there. Here are some other activities you can do at the Ooty Tea Factory:
- Trekking among the tea plants – Ooty is like a place established over tea plantations and having a tour of one of the tea estates is an experience one can never forget. You can walk around, take photographs or just drool at the views. Depending on the time of your visit, you might also catch the buds being cultivated or harvested.
- Checking tea processing activities – At the factory by the side, you can learn how the tea that you have daily is produced. From rolling and drying to CTC stage, and in the end, getting packed in the bags for shipping, you’ll get to witness it all. Chai lovers might never want to leave the place.
- Knowing about the tea culture – Just by the factory, there’s a small museum-cum-gallery. There, visitors can read about the history of teas and the origin of different tea leaves around the world. Moreover, the museum also serves you stories about the evolution of tea in India and its production in the Nilgiris.
- Tea tasting – Apart from the majestic views of the valley seeping in through your eyes, you can get a cup of freshly prepared masala tea to sip at the factory.
- Shopping at the factory outlet – The small outlet offers a variety of tea for you to buy and take home. Other than that, you can also check the available souvenirs, essential oils and the range of freshly prepared chocolates.
So what are you waiting for? Come and immerse yourself in the wonderful world of tea at the Ooty Tea Factory!